When moving into our new house I wanted a compost pile! One of my more crunchy roommates was on board so we stared saving scraps. As she told me yesterday, she knew nothing and I had all the knowledge.
This turned into a problem because all the information I got was from my crunchy sister who had one but really wasn’t on top of it. I knew no dairy or meat products. That was pretty much it.
Sooo… we have this:
and it’s hot like its supposed to be but purposefully rotting food confuses me.
Things I have learned today:
- You cook compost
- It’s debatable if you can add material after you start “cooking”
- You are supposed to have lawn clippings. (Can I buy these somewhere? I haven’t mowed our dirt patch in the backyard…)
- You set it up then cover it with manure (Isn’t that fertilizer? Is this like Amish Friendship Bread where you need some to make more??)
- People like using worms. (I don’t like this, you need more equipment too)
- If you put your pile on the ground, worms get in your pile on their own!
- UPDATE Crunchy roommate says the woman at the farmer’s market laughed at our plan and this all could be much more complex than originally planned.